Last week, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ (HHS) Office for Civil Rights (OCR) released new guidance related to the sharing of mental health, behavioral health, and substance abuse disorder treatment information. The guidance focuses on how such information may be shared with the patient’s family and other caregivers under the Health Insurance
No two health care companies are alike, but many face similar challenges when managing their data risk. Many of these challenges arise due to the competing desires with which every modern organization now struggles—one between innovation and growth on the one hand and compliance and legal risk on the other.
Specifically, the following five issues are top of mind:
- The tension between data growth and analytics and data minimization;
- Handling connected devices and mobile apps;
- Creating effective cross-functional privacy and security teams;
- The data implications of acquisitions; and
- Effective and tiered vendor management.
We discuss these issues and offer practical guidance on each.